Malta is a small island country located in the Mediterranean Sea, known for its historic sites, stunning beaches, and charming towns. Whether you’re a history buff, a beach lover, or just looking for a relaxing vacation, Malta has something to offer for everyone. Here are some of the top tourist attractions in Malta that you should consider visiting:
- The Megalithic Temples of Malta: These ancient temples, which date back to around 3600-2500 BCE, are considered to be some of the oldest freestanding structures in the world. The most famous of these temples is the Temple of Hagar Qim, which features impressive stone carvings and a unique architectural design.
- The Blue Lagoon: Located on the island of Comino, the Blue Lagoon is a stunningly beautiful spot known for its crystal-clear waters and picturesque scenery. It’s a perfect place to take a dip, snorkel or sunbathe.
- Gozo: The main port of Cirkewwa is just a few miles away from the Gillieru Harbour Hotel, so it makes sense to spend a day exploring our beautiful sister island.
- Mdina: This ancient fortified city, also known as the “silent city,” is a maze of narrow streets and charming homes. The city offers great views of the surrounding countryside and the sea.
- The Hal Saflieni Hypogeum: This underground complex, which dates back to around 3000 BCE, is a unique and mysterious site. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is considered one of the most important prehistoric sites in the world.
- Valletta: The capital city of Malta, Valletta is a beautiful and historic city, known for its impressive architecture, museums, and churches. The city offers great views of the harbor and the surrounding countryside.
- The Beaches: Malta offers a great variety of beaches, from the rocky and secluded to the popular and lively. Some of the most famous beaches are Golden Bay, Gnejna Bay and Ghajn Tuffieha Bay.
- St. John’s Co-Cathedral: This stunning baroque church was built in the 16th century and features impressive works of art and intricate architecture. The Co-Cathedral is a must-see for art and history enthusiasts.
These are just a few of the many attractions that Malta has to offer. Visitors to Malta will also find plenty of opportunities for hiking, shopping, and dining in the local towns and villages. Overall, Malta is a great destination for those looking for a mix of history, culture, and natural beauty.